Book Blog

A place for Julie, Emily, Elizabeth, and Shari to chat about the books we are reading. An electronic replacement for the fun meetings we used to have!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Audio Books

I've been thinking a lot lately about the difference between reading a book and listening to one. I think I've told all of you about how I listen to books on tape or CD on my way to work most days. Much of the time, I pick books that I wouldn't ordinarily read--chick lit, Harry Potter, mysteries, or non-fiction that I'm interested in but I think I might not want to spend reading time on.

I recently listened to a book that really got inside my psyche in a way that I don't think would have happened if I had been reading it. The book was Graham Greeene's The Comedians, and the amazing reader is Tim Piggott-Smith. (He is also one of the stars of my favorite mini-series of all time, The Jewel in the Crown.)

The Comedians is set in Haiti in the 1960s, during the heyday of "Papa Doc" Duvalier's dictatorship. Greene presents a wierd and wonderful cast of characters and plays the action out against the background of corruption and terror brought about by Duvalier's secret police, the Tonton Macoute. Tim Piggott- Smith manages to use a completely different and convincing voice for each character--whether male, female, Haitian, German, British or American. These voices bring the story to life in a way that the "reading voice" inside my own head never could. I know that I would not have made it through this book reading it myself, but listening to it was mesmerizing!

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger shari said...

I read a great article a few months back (and, for the life of me I can't remember where) that the key to a good audio book is the talent. I would add that where you listen to the book adds to the experience, too. Laurence and I were introduced to "books on tape" (which, sadly, dates how long ago that was) when we were driving down to the southwest for an 8-day backpacking trip in the Four Corners region. We listened to The Martian Chronicles and you can imagine what it was like to listen to Bradbury's detailed description of Mars while driving through Canyonlands. It would not have had nearly the impact had I been listening at the gym or during the commute.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I know what you mean, Shari. One of my first experiences with books on tape was when I moved out to Seattle in November of 1996. A friend had loaned me several books on tape and I listened to Jane Smiley's "A Thousand Acres" as I drove through the farmland of Indiana and Illinois. The sight of those empty cornfields under the gray November sky really brought that dark story to life for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home