Book Blog

A place for Julie, Emily, Elizabeth, and Shari to chat about the books we are reading. An electronic replacement for the fun meetings we used to have!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi)


Marjane Satrapi's book Persepolis is a graphic novel both history of Iran during the period of the Shah, his downfall and then Iran's war with Iraq, and autobiography. It is the story of her early childhood--pre and post teenage years, when she first begins to think she'll grow up and be the first female prophet. Only she vascillates between becoming a prophet of God or a prophet of Marx. The disappearance of family members and friends, the charged marches, the bombing by Iraq, and forced dress--the burqa and the scarf--from this little girl's eyes is disturbing, even if her way of coping makes you laugh. Reading a graphic novel is a different experience, but not necessarily a bad one. The pictures and the captions leave many more interpretative gaps to the reader, which may make for a powerful read.

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I loved this book when I read it a couple years ago. What I loved most about the heroine was that she was so spunky. There's a sequel, which I haven't read yet, but it's on my list...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home